Last weekend your Wilgus Hall Staff attended a presentation called Students Fight Back which was a presentation about self defense for yourself. Our speaker was named Morgan and she is Girls Fight Back speaker and self defense instructor certified! This organization has been active for over 15 years after it began for a student named Shannon was assaulted and murdered in her home and her friend/ sorority sister, Erin, decided to do something about it. This program focuses on de-escalation, intuition, how to support assault survivors, how to be a good bystander and/or ally, among many other things. Morgan walked us through some basic self defense techniques which was very fun to listen to a room full of people yelling and defending themselves from the air.
Did you know:
- About 1/3 of female murder victims ages 12 or older are killed by an intimate partner.
- Every 2 minutes someone in the U.S. is sexually assaulted.
- It is estimated that 43% of lesbian and bisexual women and 30% of gay and bisexual men have experienced at least one form of sexual assault during their lifetimes.
- 1 in 5 young women will experience sexual assault in college.
- Approximately 57% of survivors know their assailants
With basic self defense skills and knowing how to be a good bystander these statistics can be lowered with your help. To me, personally, I gained a lot from this presentation on how to trust my intuition more and what to do if i feel uncomfortable with a person who might approach me in a not friendly way.
If you want more information here is the link to the website: http://www.girlsfightback.com/
And here is a link to a video of a short Girls Fight Back presentation from the founder, Erin Weed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J943b5kWpMA